BRI Old Building October 2017 update
This is the chronology and current situation:
- 2016 Council refused Unite Students planning permission for scheme that would remodel and reuse the Old Building. The new student accommodation would have overpowered its surroundings. (Application 1)
- 2017 Unite make second planning application for an alternative scheme that would demolish the whole site including the Old Building and Chapel. (Application 2). Unite appeal against refused planning application 1.
- Unite Students appeal (appeal 2) on grounds of non-determination of application 2 and withdraw appeal 1 against refusal of application 1.
- Unite Students obtain planning permission, at the second attempt, for approval of demolition method of the Old Building, which is unlisted and not in a conservation area.
- Planning committee report recommends refusal of application 2 because the design of the replacement building is not good enough.
- Historic England recommends and the Department of Communities and Local Government lists the BRI Chapel with Grade II status.
- Unite Students adjourn appeal 2 until March against non-determination of application 2. Unite Students’ apply to the Secretary of State to reverse the listing decision.